I remember

          I remember

I remember the summer warmth spreading
Through the bluest sky one will never breathe.

I remember the summer rays shining
On the greenest grass one will never tread.

I remember the summer breeze lazy, enchanting,
An everlasting charm, a dream, a sleep

That the one will never wake from, because
Reminiscence is the last vivid bliss

A farewell to the fading summer
Of one who will be sorely missed


----------------------------------------------------------
Interpretation:


In this poem, the narrator is cherishing the last summer of the “one”, the someone that she loved. The narrator remembers the summer’s warm, blue sky- but the person she loves will never be able to breath it. The narrator remembers the summer’s green grass- but the one will never again step on it. The narrator remembers the summer’s lazy breeze, but it is actually putting the loved one to sleep, hanging in the air as the one dies. All the narrator can do is remember this summer, because it is the only thing that can be done to feel “bliss”; even though it fades, it is the most vivid experience with the loved one the narrator can have.

            I wrote this poem thinking about my rabbit, Tory. She died in summer, 2016, and it was a beautiful day. Our family realized that Tory was ill only the day before she died. Tory had been ill before, and I somehow knew that this would be her last day. As I looked at the grass field in front of my house that Tory often played in, it occurred to me that Tory will never step on the grass again. The weather was, indeed wastefully, beautiful.

Favorite poem on the date of posting: 

          Nothing Gold Can Stay           
                                        Robert Frost


         Nature's first green is gold,
         Her hardest hue to hold.
         Her early leaf's a flower;
         But only so an hour.
         Then leaf subsides to leaf,
         So Eden sank to grief,
         So dawn goes down today
         Nothing gold can stay.
      

Comments

  1. To confess, I really was touched by your writing. At first, as a bad reader, I wasn't able to sympathize with your emotions inside the poem. But after reading your interpretation, I could see the rabbit Tory through your poem. I was a bit surprised to read this poem written by you.
    I really like this poem and I really appreciate you effort.
    Impressive writing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad experience, and I went through this over and over again living on a farm as a child. I had to witness one of our horses die and will never forget it. Your post reminds me of it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review on Arkangel, Black Mirror

Big Graduation Mischief

Self Reflection Essay: To kill a bee – first aid kit