Christmas: friends

  It's December 24th, Christmas Eve. At this time of the year, I would normally be enjoying a family Christmas dinner, playing boardgames and listening to carols. But not this year. Instead of a lavish meal, piles of presents, wrappers, and ribbons lay in front of me.

  One day in early November, our school announced that all students were to remain in school--a boarding school--from the end of final exams until winter vacation in January 3rd. The news that I would be locked up for the Holidays struck me like the first blast of winter. Just how naughty had I been? What was a Christmas without decorations, caroling, and family parties, anyway? The prospect of the long-awaited Christmas was as frosty and monotonous as the isolated Sosa mountains our school sat in. The day after the announcement, I set myself a plan to revive Christmas spirit: giving presents to twenty friends. Suddenly, this Christmas looked like it was going to be much more fun than last year's.

  But the Grinch was determined to steal Christmas. In the blizzards of assignments and quizzes, I blindly rushed past Christmas shops. When the last storm of final exams had past, and I opened my eyes, I found myself face to face with Christmas, unarmed.

  Not having enough time to buy presents, many of the presents were second handed. My friend Brian's was especially feeble: a notebook, along with an apologetic letter. This was not what I had in mind.  

  Finally the last minute wrapping was finished, and I stood up. I rummage through the pile of Christmas wrappings and decorations, checking for any let-out presents or cards. The red sack was not as large as I had hoped for. Regret washed through me. If I had just one more week... I could imagine my friends' disappointment in Christmas morning.

  However, with Christmas morning came an unexpected present. Brian had sent a long text message thanking me. He had never received a Christmas present in his life, and promised a present in return. There were no Christmas lights around the school trees, but was a warm day in Sosa.



I honestly don't like this yet.

//Since gift-giving was not a frequent holiday culture in Korea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review on Arkangel, Black Mirror

Big Graduation Mischief

Self Reflection Essay: To kill a bee – first aid kit